Author + information
- Pinak B. Shah, MDa,d,∗,
- Frederick G.P. Welt, MDa,e,
- Ehtisham Mahmud, MDb,f,
- Alistair Phillips, MDc,g,
- Neal S. Kleiman, MDa,h,
- Michael N. Young, MDa,i,
- Matthew Sherwood, MD, MHSa,j,
- Wayne Batchelor, MDa,j,
- Dee Dee Wang, MDk,
- Laura Davidson, MDa,l,
- Janet Wyman, DNP, APRNa,k,
- Sabeeda Kadavath, MDa,m,
- Molly Szerlip, MDb,n,
- James Hermiller, MDb,o,
- David Fullerton, MDc,p,
- Saif Anwaruddin, MDa,q,
- from the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI)
- aAmerican College of Cardiology Interventional Cardiology Section Leadership Council, Washington, DC
- bSociety for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Washington, DC
- cAmerican College of Cardiology Cardiac Surgery Team and Leadership Council, Washington, DC
- dDivision of Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- eCardiovascular Division, University of Utah Health, Salt Lake City, UT
- fDivision of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA
- gThe Heart, Vascular, and Thoracic Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- hCardiovascular Division, Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
- iCardiovascular Division, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, NH, Lebanon
- jDivision of Cardiology, Inova Heart and Vascular Institute, Fairfax, VA
- kHenry Ford Health System, Center for Structural Heart Disease, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
- lBluhm Cardiovascular Institute, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- mDepartment of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AK
- nBaylor Scott and White, The Heart Hospital Plano, Plano, TX
- oAscension Medical Group, Indianapolis, IN
- pDivision of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO
- qCardiovascular Division, The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, The Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- ↵∗Address for Correspondence: Pinak B. Shah, MD Cardiovascular Division Brigham and Women’s Hospital 75 Francis Street Boston,MA 02115, (857) 307-1986
The COVID-19 pandemic has strained health care resources around the world causing many institutions to curtail or stop elective procedures. This has resulted in the inability to care for patients valvular and structural heart disease (SHD) in a timely fashion potentially placing these patients at increased risk for adverse cardiovascular complications including congestive heart failure and death. The effective triage of these patients has become challenging in the current environment as clinicians have had to weigh the risk of bringing susceptible patients into the hospital environment during the COVID-19 pandemic versus the risk of delaying a needed procedure. In this document, we suggest guidelines as to how to triage patients in need of SHD interventions and provide a framework of how to decide when it may be appropriate to proceed with intervention despite the ongoing pandemic. In particular, we address the triage of patients in need of trans-catheter aortic valve replacement and percutaneous mitral valve repair. We also address procedural issues and considerations for the function of structural heart disease teams during the COVID-19 pandemic.
PBS is a proctor for Edwards and has received educational grants from Edwards, Medtronic, and Abbott.
FGPW is a site principal investigator for a multicenter trial supported by Medtronic and is on the advisory board for Medtronic.
EM is a consultant for Abiomed, Medtronic, Boston Scientific, and chairs multiple Data, Safety and Monitoring Boards.
NSK receives research grants from Medtronic and serves on steering committees for the PROTECTED TAVR study sponsored by Boston Scientific and the PORTICO NG study sponsored by Abbott.
M. Sherwood is a consultant for Medtronic.
WB is a consultant for V Wave Medical and Abbott and is on the speaker’s bureau for Boston Scientific, Medtronic, and Abbott.
DDW is a consultant for Edwards and Boston Scientific.
JW is a consultant for Edwards and Boston Scientific.
M. Szerlip is a consultant and proctor for Edwards, consultant for Medtronic, and a consultant and member of the speaker’s bureau for Boston Scientific.
JH is a consultant for Medtronic, Edwards, and Abbott.
SA is on the advisory board for Medtronic and consults and proctors for Medtronic. He consults and proctors for Edwards. He is on the steering committee for Boston Scientific. He is a proctor for V Wave Medical.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this paper by the ACC Interventional Council, SCAI, and ACC Cardiac Surgery Team and Leadership Council do not necessarily reflect the view of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, or Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions.
Tweet: Triage Considerations for Patients Referred for Structural Heart Disease Intervention During COVID-19. A joint ACC/SCAI statement. #ACCIC
- Received March 30, 2020.
- Revision received April 2, 2020.
- Accepted April 2, 2020.