Author + information
- S1936879815020269-10758b42b5128141c6bc61525a6d4edbHubertus von Korn1,
- S1936879815020269-7aea77de93d120dee0a239fed4814b13Victor Stefan1,
- S1936879815020269-435c700c363b854130ff3992a2ead14bUlrich Hink2,
- S1936879815020269-5f3bb7f3f63ca71540379f2f5efe5fe2Tomaso Gori3,
- S1936879815020269-521de0e69ec26310ce67933b5b791575Kamalesh Chakraborty1,
- S1936879815020269-95e159eadb998e6851dd73508bc26fc7Jan Hemker1,
- S1936879815020269-fdc4d148ed7289a52edc5f1a58f5c2c2Burkhard Hügl4,
- S1936879815020269-71caa9a42f3facdfc9668e1376c2cfbcBjörn Buchter4,
- S1936879815020269-28a2bd861708acb0d4cd3a6da0d92fd8Rainer Zotz5,
- S1936879815020269-44a9c511cbd27dc4281c16ff0ae72502Erik Friedrich6 and
- S1936879815020269-81d06e7d74b5ea0b8d34cf72df22f738Thomas Münzel3
Using drug-eluting balloons for the treatment of bifurcation lesions without stenting provides a safe and efficient treatment option for bifurcation lesions.
We initiated a controlled prospective multicentric registry using drug-eluting balloons (DEB, Dior ®, Eurocor Inc, Germany) for the treatment of the side branch/main branch (SB/MB) after pre-dilatation using a standard balloon and included all consecutive patients (pts) with bifurcation lesions. Stenting (preferably bare metal stenting after DEB) and final kissing in case of insufficient angiographic result were performed at the discretion of the operator. Endpoints were incidence of MACE during FU (9 months: death, TLR/TVR, thrombosis) and technical aspects (incidence of stenting).
Basic Data - We included 100 pts, the mean FU was 9.5 months. Looking for the baseline parameters, 79.0 % were male, the mean age was 66.3 years, diabetes was present in 21.4 %, an ACS was present in 35.7 %. In 55.6 % the LAD/SB, in 34.3 % the circumflex/SB and in the 10.1 % was affected. Most of the pts had 3-VD (46.5 %), whereas 52.9 % had 1- or 2-VD. Procedural Characteristics - Predilatation (MB) was done in 72.4 % (SB 86.7 %), a DEB for the MB was used in 28.6 % (SB 71.4 %). Stenting of the MB was done in 63.2 % (DES 58.2 %, BMS 5.1 %) and stenting of the SB was performed in 12.2 % (DES 11.2 %, BMS 1.0 %). Final kissing was done in 65.3 %, mostly using two DEB (48.0 %). FU Data - MACE in hospital was seen in 6.1 % (STEMI 2.0 %, NSTEMI 1.0 %, TLR 3.1 %), during FU cardiac death in 2.6 %, an ACS in 2.6 %, CABG 1.3 %, TLR 0 % and TVR 13.2 %.
DEB could be safely used for the treatment of bifurcation lesion with an optimal rate of TLR.