Author + information
- Received February 23, 2017
- Revision received May 31, 2017
- Accepted June 29, 2017
- Published online October 2, 2017.
- Marina Urena, MD, PhDa,
- Dominique Himbert, MDa,∗ (, )
- Eric Brochet, MDa,
- Jose Luis Carrasco, MDb,
- Bernard Iung, MDa,
- Patrick Nataf, MDc and
- Alec Vahanian, MDa
- aDepartment of Cardiology, Bichat Claude Bernard Hospital-Paris VII University, Paris, France
- bDepartment of Anesthesiology, Bichat Claude Bernard Hospital-Paris VII University, Paris, France
- cCardiovascular Surgery Department, Bichat Claude Bernard Hospital-Paris VII University, Paris, France
- ↵∗Address for correspondence:
Dr. Dominique Himbert, Bichat Claude Bernard Hospital, 46 Henri Huchard, 75018 Paris, France.
Transcatheter mitral valve replacement (TMVR) using balloon-expandable valves has become an alternative therapy for selected patients with mitral valve disease. Up to now, the transapical approach has been the preferred route, but the transseptal approach is becoming increasingly popular due to its reduced invasiveness and increased safety. However, transseptal TMVR procedures are technically challenging, and little is known about the screening process required before this therapy. The authors provide operators with a step-by-step approach from the screening process to follow-up care for transseptal TMVR procedures.
- annuloplasty ring
- mitral annular calcification
- transcatheter mitral valve replacement
Dr. Himbert has served as a consultant and proctor for Edwards Lifesciences. Dr. Iung has received speaker fees from Edwards Lifesciences. Dr. Vahanian has served as a consultant for Edwards Lifesciences and Abbott; and has received research grant support from Valtech. All other authors have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose.
- Received February 23, 2017.
- Revision received May 31, 2017.
- Accepted June 29, 2017.
- 2017 American College of Cardiology Foundation
- Central Illustration
- Step 1. Pre-TMVR Work-Up and Patients Selection
- Step 2. Patient Preparation and Room Setting
- Step 3. TS Catheterization
- Step 4. Mitral Valve Crossing
- Step 5. THV Preparation
- Step 6. Septal Dilation
- Step 7. Advancing the Delivery System and Crossing the Septum
- Step 8. Positioning and Deployment of the THV
- Step 9. Post-Deployment Assessment and Management
- Step 10. Follow-Up Care